History Of Leers

Leers of Germain laer, wooded marshy land covers 540 ha. Populated with 9708 inhabitants, it is traversed by the Roubaix canal and river Espierre. His name was first mentioned in 1106 as an entity dependent on the Abbey Hasnon.

The outstanding feature of the city is its division in 1779.

As part of the Treaty of Limits of Louis XV and Maria Theresa of Austria a border that the joint cut is imposed. This sharing is endorsed in 1820 by the Treaty of Kortrijk. Thus, 2/5th of the original territory (940 ha) is located today in Belgium under the name of Leers-Nord.

La tour Motte Bossut
La tour Motte Bossut (1895)

The history of the city is also marked by its industrial activity. In the eighteenth, farming people live and work flax to "otil" home.

In 1870, Edouard Motte, already the owner of a textile factory in Roubaix, opened a weaving Leers which will cease its activity in 1982. The tower-Motte Bossutt (1895) still dominates the town and demonstrates what industrial past which greatly changed demographic and social aspects of

Le Moulin Blanc
Le Moulin Blanc

The architectural heritage is represented by the mill and church

The "mill white" - 1852

Symbol of the town, he stops all activity in 1914 and then falling apart.

In 1973 the municipality bought it and organize a referendum. Leersois 76% are in favor of its restoration.

The Church of St. Vaast
The Church of St. Vaast

Inaugurated in 1976, he has been honored every year during the traditional mill Festivities (3rd weekend of June).

47 meters high church Leers, dates from the thirteenth century.

Armoirie de leers

Victims of wars, fires and even lightning, it is restored to 4 times.

Thus, the left aisle still bears the date 1663, the year of its renovation. Weakened by time, the walls of the tower are connected in 1834 by an iron corset.

Since we talk at "bell connected" to describe the church.

Finally, the building was built with respect to the number of gold and the symbolism of numbers.

Leers The arms are those of the abbey of Hasnon, Lord of Leers

The museum

The local history museum, made solely from donations, addresses various topics: archeology, history and customs border, industrial and agricultural history, world conflicts, religion, witnesses and objects of life daily, etc.

Open every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month the entrance is free. Group visits are possible by appointment.

Les expositions Le Musée de Leers Musée détail

Our activities

Journées du Patrimoine
Participants at the Heritage Day of September 21, 2003

Leers history offers its members and to outsiders, the following activities:

 




Les journées du Patrimoine


Rechercher :